KHOI | Blog

Tips for technical co-founder

Tue, Mar 12, 2024 · 2 min read
Blog post image
Table of contents

My notes from from YC Tips for technical co-founder — Diana Hu.


  1. Build prototype ASAP in a matter of days.
  2. Create 90/10 solution.
    • Focusing on a minimal viable product (MVP) that covers 90% of the essential features while leaving out the remaining 10% for future iterations.
  3. Choose tech for iteration speed.

The only tech choices that matter are the ones tied to your customer promises.

Prototype mistakes:

  • Over-building.
  • Not talking to users.
  • Not letting go of bad ideas.

Launched stage

Launch in a few weeks.

Quickly iterate with hard & soft data.

  • Make sure you have set up analytics before launch.
  • Pick something simple: Google Analytics, Mixpanel, Amplitude, etc.

Continuously launch.

Balancing building vs fixing.

  • Tech debt is fine. Balance it.

How the role evolves

Decide what engineering culture will look like.

  • Evolve into leading a small team of engineers.
  • First hires are likely friends.
  • Start to have communication overhead.
  • Your role is morphing
    • 2-5 engineers: 70% time to code
    • 5-10 engineers: coding <50%